As we here at Gear Reviews Online have become more knowledgeable and passionate about home bike repairs we have realized just how important it is to have the right tools to get the job done properly and efficiently.
Consequently we have decided to do yet another Park Tool review (we have become mega Park Tool fans!) as it has become very obvious that if you want the good quality bike repair products for a decent price then the Park Tool brand is the way to go.
For this review we will take a look at the Park Tool Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit or the AK-37 for short. We will cover what you should look for in a good home bike mechanic tool kit, what the Park Tool AK-37 offers, how much you should expect to pay as well as what other people are saying about it.
What to Look for When Buying a Bicycle Tool Kit
There are quite a few home mechanic bicycle tool kits out there. The price range on these tool kits can vary greatly and will depend on two things:
- the quality of the tools
- the amount of tools in the kit
The amount of tools you need will depend on the type of repairs you want to do on your bicycle. You can get away with a smaller took kit that just provides the basics if you are a casual cyclist and want to be able to do simple adjustments such as tightening or loosening your handlebar, seat, pump mounts, gearing or breaking stern. Or if you simply want to be able to fix a flat tire either at home or while on the road.
The basic tool kits usually include tools such as:
- Hex wrenches
- Tire levers
- Patch kit
- Straight blade screwdriver
However if you want the ability to do it all and never again have to take your bike to a bicycle repair shop then the 37 quality bike tools provided in the Park Tool Advanced Mechanic Tool Kitare what you want.
The Park Tool AK-37 includes every tool you could possibly need to be able to perform most bicycle repairs from brake adjustments to headset overhauls. It is equally as good for the beginner to the advanced home bike repair mechanic.
What’s Included in the Park Tool AK-37?
There are 37 high quality shop-strength tools contained within the tool box of the AK-37 that will rival the tools found in many bike shops. Combine these tools with a bike repair stand, some instructions and a little bit of determination and you will be well on your way to doing some serious bike maintenance.
The AK-37 includes:
- AWS-1 4, 5, 6mm Hex Wrench Set
- AWS-3 2, 2.5, 3mm Y Hex Wrench Set
- BBT-5/FR-11 Bottom Bracket and Freehub Lockring tool for Campagnolo®
- BBT-9 Bottom Bracket for 16 notch external crankset system cups (SRAM, Shimano, FSA, Truvativ, Race Face, Zipp, etc)
- BBT-22 Cartridge Bottom Bracket Tool (for 20 tooth internal splines, such as Shimano®, FSA®, etc.)
- CC-3.2 Chain Checker Chain Wear Indicator
- CWP-7 Crank Puller for Splined Octalink®, ISIS Drive®, and square-taper type
- CCW-5 Crank Wrench with 14mm Socket / 8mm Hex
- CBW-1 8 and 10mm Open End Wrench
- CBW-4 9 and 11mm Open End Wrench
- CL-1 Synthetic Blend Clain Lube
- CM-5 Cyclone Chain Cleaner
- CN-10 Cable Cutter
- CNW-2 Chainring Nut Wrench
- CT-3 Professional Screw Type Chain Tool
- FR-5 Cassette Lockring Tool for Shimano® and similar brands
- GP-2 Pre-Glued Patch Kit
- GSC-1 GearClean Brush
- PPL-1 PolyLube 1000 Grease
- PW-3 Professional Pedal Wrench
- SCW-13 13mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench
- SCW-14 14mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench
- SCW-15 15mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench
- SCW-16 16mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench
- SCW-17 17mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench
- SCW-18 18mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench
- SCW-19 19mm Professional Shop Cone Wrench
- SD-0 Shop Screwdriver #0 Phillips
- SD-3 Shop Screwdriver Straight Blade 3mm tip
- SD-2 Shop Screwdriver #2 Phillips
- SD-6 Shop Screwdriver Straight Blade, 6mm tip
- SR-11 Chain Whip and Freewheel/Lockring Wrench
- SW-0 Professional Spoke Wrench
- SW-1 Professional Spoke Wrench
- SW-2 Professional Spoke Wrench
- TB-2 Tire Boot
- TL-1Tire Levers
- The tool box of the AK-37 measures approximately 16 inches long, 8 inches tall and 7 inches deep
These tools can be stashed away and kept safe in the handy tool box that is provided with the tool kit.
Note: There are excellent instructions for the use of the tools in the AK-37 that can be downloaded from the Park Tool website.
The Importance of Having the Right Tools
Most mechanics know that without the right tools, the repair job can be very frustrating and take a lot longer than needed. Especially with a bicycle the right tools make all the difference.
For example if you were to use the wrong tool while trying to pry off your tire you could make the mistake of damaging your rim or pinching your tube which in turn will cause you to have to do more repairs and possibly create some major headaches.
Or likewise if you try to do your bike repairs without using a proper bike repair stand your bike could be falling all over the place and making even more of a mess.
With the proper tools you can tune-up your bicycle quickly, efficiently and with as little fuss as possible which means that you will be back to riding in as quick of a time period as possible.
How Much Should You Expect to Pay?
Does It Include a Warranty?
One of the reasons we love Park Tool is the fact that they know their stuff and they provide quality products that last forever. The Park Tool AK-37 comes with their phenomenal lifetime warranty… you can’t get any better than that!
What Others are Saying
This home mechanic bicycle tool kit has received rave reviews from most consumers on the net with an average of 4.6 out of 5 stars from most reviewers on Amazon. Here are some of the comments to date:
- ”An exceptional jumping-off point”
- ”Great tool set”
- ”Best bike purchase around”
- ”Buy this even for a beginners set”
- ”Park Tool AK-37 Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit is a great buy”
I have found very few complaints for this bicycle tool kit on consumer sites around the internet. A couple of consumers did express that the kit contained a few tools that were not necessary however the general consensus was that you still get a lot for your money.
Where Can You Buy the Park Tool Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit?
You can buy this Park Tool mechanic tool kit from Amazon. At the moment they include free shipping and from what I can tell when comparing the prices with other online merchants, they do currently have the best deal especially with the free shipping option. Click here to view on Amazon.
Where Can You Read More Reviews of the Park Tool Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit?
The best place for more reviews from people who have actually used the product is Amazon. Click here to read more.